Monday, August 5, 2019

With Apologies to Historical Purists

Another small section complete!  A special hurrah since this is a section I've stewed about.  In the original this little stem alternates -- sort of at random -- between ceylon stitch in gold and in ceylon stitch in green silk.  But to my eye that looked really messy. . . so I've adapted again, and done the stem entirely in gold.  I think it works OK.

Here's the stem in process . . . representing one afternoon's work:


And here is the completed stem.  If you look carefully you can see that up towards the top -- near the second pear -- I switched between a 3 and 2 stitch width.  Further down the stem as it widens out, the individual stitches become spaced a little further apart.



I do not have a very good photo of the original,but here's a sort of fuzzy picture of the stem in question.  I think you can at least see how in my mind at least, the alternating green silk and gold creates a rather messy look.

1 comment: