Friday, January 20, 2012

Another Delayed Reveal

I'm pleased to at last be able to show you a sampler I stitched last fall for a new designer, LaDonna of Black Branch Needlework.

Here's my photo immediately after completing the stitching. . . and you can see a picture of the pressed and framed piece (and order your own chart if you like) here:

When I stitch samplers, they're usually from earlier eras, so this was an interesting change of pace for me.   I don't know whether you can tell from the photo, but in addition to the traditional over 2 flower border motifs, the sampler includes a full alphabet in tigthly pulled eyelets, and the verse in over 1 cross stitch.   Since these are fairly "advanced" elements, my guess would be that this was not Margaret's first sampler.  I think the sampler sports a very vibrant and contemporary looking color palette, but it is very true to the original colors that can still be seen on the back side of the original sampler.

You can learn a little more about the piece and see photos of the original at LaDonna's blog at  .  It is truly a shame that the original's condition is poor, but someone must have truly treasured it.. . since it was framed (or reframed) in 1914. .. almost 75 years after it was stitched. 

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Delayed Reveal

Remember back in the late summer and fall when it seemed I was getting even less stitching completed than normal?  Here's part of the reason -- a fall biscornu, needlebook, and counting pins set that I made for my Secret Stitcher exchange sponsored by the Queen City Sampler Guild.

I don't know whether my S.S. knows about my blog, but some members of QCSG do. . . and I didn't want to spoil the surprise.  Secret Stitchers are revealed at our Christmas party. . . so now it's "safe" to post pictures.

The biscornu pattern is from .  (If you want a biscornu pattern, they probably have one. . . for every imaginable season or holiday.)   For the needlebook, I just reused motifs from the biscornu.  One minor note.  The open, unstitched center area of the biscornu was really, really small.  Too small for any buttons I could find.  Luckily, I had some wooden beads that I was able to secure with some other beads, so it worked out really well.  But the next time I do a biscornu, I'll be sure to check ahead of time to make sure the space in the center is big enough for the buttons I intend to use.

Here are close ups of the front and back of the biscornu and needlebook.