Friday, January 20, 2012

Another Delayed Reveal

I'm pleased to at last be able to show you a sampler I stitched last fall for a new designer, LaDonna of Black Branch Needlework.

Here's my photo immediately after completing the stitching. . . and you can see a picture of the pressed and framed piece (and order your own chart if you like) here:    http://kelmscottdesigns.com/black-branch.htm



When I stitch samplers, they're usually from earlier eras, so this was an interesting change of pace for me.   I don't know whether you can tell from the photo, but in addition to the traditional over 2 flower border motifs, the sampler includes a full alphabet in tigthly pulled eyelets, and the verse in over 1 cross stitch.   Since these are fairly "advanced" elements, my guess would be that this was not Margaret's first sampler.  I think the sampler sports a very vibrant and contemporary looking color palette, but it is very true to the original colors that can still be seen on the back side of the original sampler.

You can learn a little more about the piece and see photos of the original at LaDonna's blog at   http://blackbranchneedlework.blogspot.com/  .  It is truly a shame that the original's condition is poor, but someone must have truly treasured it.. . since it was framed (or reframed) in 1914. .. almost 75 years after it was stitched. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog when looking at images of reticello lace work. I found a piece at a thrift shop and am wondering if you know anything about how it's done. There are photos on my blog:
    http://gocrazywithme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely verse, Martha. And the over ones look difficult. I've done over one before, and love it, but it is a pain to pull out!!! I thank you for giving me your blog addy, and I'm gonna go check out the membership form you sent me now. Thanks for all the info, and I hope to make it to the evening meeting (if I don't chicken out).

    ReplyDelete