Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Dilletante Amongst the Experts - The Embroidered Jacket Tour

I've been back a week now from a truly unique experience -- the Embroidered Jacket Tour of England organized by Tricia Nguyen, the designer and moving force behind the recreated Plymouth 17th century jacket.   Needless to say, this was a GREAT time. . . and rather overwhelming as well.  My fellow travelers included experts on historic costuming, national teachers, designers, and truly expert stitchers.   I often felt like the new kid on the block. . . and learned a bunch with just about every conversation.

In fact, there is SO much to report, that it's hard to get started.  Over a 10-day period (with a good number of travelers continuing on to an additional 4 days in Scotland) we were privileged to go behind the scenes and see dozens of pieces of 17th century embroidery up close. . . jackets, nightcaps, gloves, and miscellaneous fragments of other pieces.  Just seeing these pieces right in front of us. . . and not behind glass. . . would have been a treat in itself.  But we were also allowed to take photographs!  So I have come home with reams of photos of flowers, leaves, butterflies, worms, birds, lions, leopards, and bunches of other up close design details!  If I ever get it all organized, I hope to try to recreate some of the motifs myself.

Since I'm a "cat person," I've always especially wanted to create a lovely lion, like all those on the stumpwork caskets and panels.  And I have a nice selection of very close up shots of various 17th century lions to examine. 

But here's the rub.  Because of strict rules we agreed to in the photographic permission releases, I am unable to post the vast vast majority of of the photos.   So I'm not quite sure how exactly this wonderful experience will make it into this blog over the coming weeks.  I'm here waiting for inspiration.

In the meantime, I can direct you to a fellow tour participant who has posted a wonderful day by day itinerary on her blog here.

5 comments:

  1. You are so lucky Martha to have gotten to go on the tour...a once in a lifetime experience! Thankyou for sharing, and I look foreward to hearing more about it. Did you by chance see the inked coif at the V&A?? I dont have the acession number. I am making it up into a jacket, before I start my embroidered jacket...its kind of a trial run I guess :)
    kindest, rachael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael,
    First, I'm in awe of you and other folks who actually commit to a full GARMENT! As to the piece you reference. . . I just am not sure. There was a fascinating pair of objects in one of the study room frames. . . the printed fabric for embroidery along side of a coif where that same fabric was stitched (very damaged sadly). And there were other coifs with all over blackwork/gold patterns. . . Right now, it's hard to keep it straight in my mind. I need to spend time with my photos and get organized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Martha~ if you go to my blog, and click the tab 17th inked jacket, you will see the one I am talking about. It is actually a printed coif, that has a scant couching of wire wrapped black around the motifs. I would be happy to sort your photos for you(enter HUGE smile here)
    kindest, rachael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachael,
    Small world! The piece I ref'd is the same as the one you are working with. What I found especially fascinating was that the embroidered coif -- badly damaged and IMHO hard to tell exactly what was embroidered (it looked to me like there might be very fine black stitching in addition to the silver) -- was mounted along side one repeat of the unstitched fabric. Fascinating that you have found another sample of this same fabric, and even MORE amazing that you located a modern version. . . which as you note, is simlar in spirit but not identical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so wished I could go on that tour, so I shall look forward to seeing what you can share!

    ReplyDelete